A highlight of this exuberant country, Nosara stands out among many attractions of the northern Nicoya Peninsula. Warm water, friendly locals, endless beaches, remarkable Yoga institutes, world-class sportfishing, and literally year-round waves make Nosara a veritable relaxation hotspot.
Lush Landscapes, Towering Mountains, Stunning Beaches
…and So Much More
Located on the coast of a Blue Zone (a place where a large percentage of local people live more than 100 years), Nosara offers the kind of lifestyle that most people only dream about. It is a favorite among surfers of all levels for both its waves and relaxed pace of life, as well as for the revitalizing and often life-changing practice of yoga. In the warm blue waters of the Pacific Ocean, Nosara is a paradise for even the most demanding of fishermen.
Things to Do
- Fishing: The Nosara area offers great fishing for all skill levels. Experience the thrill of catching Sailfish, Marlin, Dorado (Mahi), Yellowtail and Tuna from a local small panga or a fully outfitted sport-fishing boat.
- River Fishing: Enjoy a fishing expedition for snook, small sharks and other river catch on the Rio Nosara or Rio Montana.
- Surfing Lessons: Catch the perfect wave with private lessons or explore the surf on your own with surfboard rental.
- Nosara Biological Preserve: Take a self-guided tour in the Nosara Biological Preserve and catch a glimpse of a large variety of birds and other wildlife, or dine at the preserve and enjoy a spectacular view.
- Turtle Tours: Come to the Ostional Wildlife Refuge to see the Olive Ridley Turtle. Female turtles arrive every month, usually just before the new moon, to lay their eggs. Then in July or August, you can experience the “arribada,” when thousands of turtles crowd the warm black sands of the beach.
- Horseback Riding: Explore Nosara via horseback with one of the local riding operations, which offer tours through the jungle and on the beach. And for your convenience, the guides will even bring the horses to Arco Iris Resort, so you can leave on horseback from the resort grounds.
- Kayaking: Paddle your cares away with an easy kayak trip down the Rio Nosara. Or find a more adventurous route, like a four-hour trip to Rosada Island, a deserted, pink-sand island.
- Hiking: Experience the mystique of Nosara with treks to see waterfalls, Arcos de Nosara, bat caves, the Biological Preserve and much more.
- Canopy Tours: Explore the lush forest canopy from above with Miss Sky Canopy Tours. Set amidst the Costa Rican forest wilderness, these adventures traverse mountain ridges and valleys, soar above ravines and rivers, pause for views of rushing waterfalls and emerges from the serene forest and drops you off in a disco-bar on the top floor of a five story architectural wonder. Suitable for nature lovers, adventurers and even families.
- Spas: Seeking holistic health and wellness? Try the Nosara Yoga Institute, a world-renowned, exclusive yoga and healing resort, which offers public classes, as well as training programs that exceed standards of the National Yoga Alliance and assures Nosara graduates that certification will be recognized on a national and international level. Additionally, there are numerous massage and physiotherapy clinics in the area.
- Tico Cuisine: With such a wide variety of exotic plant life available, it’s almost impossible to not discover a new favorite fruit, and, of course, excellent local seafood is readily available. Other culinary delights include refrescos, bocas, ceviche, pipa fresh from the tree, gallo pinto and even real Costa Rican coffee from a chorreador de café.